Sunday, May 24, 2009

Gone Fishin'



Today was another first for Abby and Evan. The family went on a fishing trip today at a pond over in Maryville. "Fishing trip" is a term that is loosely used here as it could be better described as a stick throwing and rock collecting trip. The fishing part of the trip lasted only about forty minutes since it did not provide enough action for Abby and Evan. They just loved being outside exploring.
The fishing trip did get me thinking of one of my dad's favorite songs. He is a big fisherman and even made some of his very own Gone Fishin' signs.

Gone Fishin'
I'll tell you why I can't find you
Every time I go out to your place...

You gone fishin'
Well there's a sign upon your door
Gone fishin'
You ain't workin' anymore
There's your hoe out in the sun
Where you left a row half done
You claim that hoe'in ain't no fun
You ain't got no ambition

Gone fishin' by a shady wady pool
I'm wishin' I could be that kind of fool
I'd say no more work for mine
On my door I'd hang a sign
Gone fishin' instead of just a-wishin'

Gone fishin'
There's a sign upon your door
Gone fishin'
Mmm, you ain't workin' anymore
Cows need milkin' in the barn
But you just don't give a darn
You just never seem to learn
You ain't got no ambition

Gone fishin'
Got your hound dog by your side
Gone fishin'
Fleas are bitin' at his hide

Mmm, folks won't find us now because
Mister Satch and Mister Cros
We gone fishin' instead of just a-wishin'
Oh yeah!

The picture is one of my favorites taken on our Mother's Day outing. It shows Abby standing at the top of the steps encouraging her brother, "Come on, buddy! You can do it!"

1 comment:

The McGinnis Family said...

I love that picture of Abby and Evan. How sweet.